Knowledgebase: Microsoft Powerpoint
Remove the Recent File List From the Registry
Posted by - NA - on 29 March 2006 08:33 AM
1. On the Windows Start menu, click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, then click OK.
2. Locate the following key in the registry by clicking the plus signs next to the appropriate keys.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\PowerPoint\Recent File List
3. Click the Recent File List so that Recent File List is selected and the folder for Recent File List is open.
4. On the Registry menu, click Export Registry File.
5. Name the Registry file MRU, and save it to your Windows Desktop.
6. Press Delete to delete the Recent File List registry key.
7. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
PowerPoint should now open normally. To avoid this problem in the future, do not use special characters in your file names.